How to Extract Mint Oils from Leaves
Making your own mint oil at home is possible using this simple method. I have tried several methods and this one is the simplest.
- Buy high proof vodka or alcohol made for drinking only.
- Pick fresh mint and wash the leaves well.
- Remove any bruised or dark leaves. You may leave the stems attached.
- Place the herbs in a sealable fruit jar packed as tightly as you wish.
- Pour the alcohol over the herbs, and place in a warm area for several weeks.
- Strain off the liquid
- Freeze. The oil will freeze, and separate from the vodka. The lower phase is the oil and the upper is Vodka. You can remove it at this time, and put it in another container, preferably a dark glass container. Keep refrigerated.
Here is another way to extract oils: