We have chosen to remove fluoride from our family diet. One of the many ways we accomplish this is by making our own toothpaste. You can buy fluoride free toothpaste, but I really like the homemade version much better.
I got my recipe from here if you would like to see the cost breakdowns and step by step instructions.
Its a pretty simple recipe and if you like to experiment with flavors and scents you can try this: Top 6 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Basic Aromatherapy Sampler Essential Oil Gift Set- 6/10 ml (Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemon, Sweet Orange, Peppermint, Tea Tree)
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 tsp fine sea salt (optional – direct application of the minerals in sea salt is great for teeth, but can be left out if the taste is too salty)
- 1 – 2 tsp peppermint extract or 10-15 drops peppermint essential oil (or add your favorite flavor – spearmint, orange, etc.)
- filtered water (add to desired consistency)
(Cost Breakdown from DIY Natural) Here is the breakdown in cost analysis for 5.33 oz of homemade toothpaste (same amount as one tube of our old toothpaste):
- baking soda @ 16 oz = $1.00 | 2/3 cup is 5.33 oz which = $0.33
- fine sea salt @ 22 oz = $2.00 | 1 tsp is .17 oz which = $0.02
- peppermint extract @ 1 oz = $3.00 | 2 tsp is .33 oz which = $1.04 | Better yet, use peppermint essential oil @ 1 oz = $13.00 | 15 drops = $0.28!
(**Note** you can use as much or as little peppermint or other flavor as you wish. Add the flavoring little by little until you reach an amount you enjoy.)
Prior to making our own, we were using Tom’s of Maine Spearmint Gel® costing an average of $5.00 for a 5.2 oz tube. Based on the calculations above the same amount of this homemade toothpaste will cost between $0.63 and $1.39 for 5.33 oz, depending on how much flavoring is used.
The cost savings will be between $4.37 – $3.61 per tube!
Aside from cost, there are many other benefits of homemade products. By making this toothpaste not only are we cutting costs by upwards of 300%, we also know the exact ingredients and count time spent as fun, educational, and useful for all involved!